Robert Edwin Sevila
Robert E. Sevila is a principal with Sevila, Saunders, Huddleston & White, P.C. in Leesburg, Virginia. Upon his graduation from Law School, Mr. Sevila served as a trial attorney in the Tax Division of the United States Department of Justice from 1970 to 1974. He joined the firm as an attorney in 1974 as part of the Leesburg Office of a prominent Winchester Law Firm. In 1982, the Leesburg Office established its own office and Mr. Sevila served as a founding partner. Mr. Sevila has enjoyed a varied practice which now concentrates on land use, zoning, real estate and business law. Mr. Sevila has been recognized by his peers as a member of Virginia’s “Legal Elite” published by Virginia Business Magazine in each year that their survey has been conducted.
Mr. Sevila served on the Herndon Town Council and served as Mayor for the Town of Leesburg from 1982 to 1992. Mr. Sevila has lectured to both private organizations and local governments on a variety of municipal and land use issues. In addition, Mr. Sevila has testified before the Virginia House & Senate Committees on issues related to land use, transportation, impact fees, transferrable development rights and annexation. In 2005, he was appointed by Governor Mark Warner to serve on the Commonwealth Transportation Board. He has taught graduate courses in business law at Harry F. Byrd, Jr. School of Business, Shenandoah University.
Throughout his practice, Mr. Sevila has been recognized as the consummate Citizen Lawyer. He has worked on any number of important and varied community projects, such as the Bluemont Concert Series in Loudoun County and has served as Chair a the Fund Raising Committee for the local YMCA since 1993. He has served on the Board of the Loudoun County Chamber of Commerce since 1991 and served as its Chairman of the Board in 2003. In 1988, he was a founding Member of the George C. Marshall International Center and served on its Board until 2017.
In recognition of his service, Mr. Sevila has been recognized by a number of various entities and organizations for his public service contributions. These include recipient of the “Good Scout” Award from the Metropolitan Washington Boy Scouts of America. In addition, he was a recipient of the “Loudoun Laurels” Award in 2011 honoring exceptional community service for the benefit of Loudoun County citizens. In 2004, Mr. Sevila was a recipient of the General Practice Tradition of Excellence Award given by the General Practice Session of the Virginia State Bar each year to one member of the Bar recognized for their service to the public and the profession. In addition, Mr. Sevila was recognized for his exemplary commitment to the community above and beyond business contributions in receiving the George C. Marshall Award awarded by the Leesburg Town Council and Leesburg Economic Development Commission.
Areas of Practice
- Land Use, Zoning, Administrative and Municipal Law
- Civil Litigation
- Real Estate
- Commercial Law
- Virginia, 1970
- University of North Carolina School of Law, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
- J.D - 1970
- University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC
- B.A - 1967
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Town Council of Town of Herndon , Member, 1974 to 1976
- Town of Leesburg, Mayor, 1982 to 1992
- F&M Bank of Northern Virginia (currently BB&T), Co-Founder, 1986 to Present
- F&M Bank of Northern Virginia (Currently BB&T), Charter Member, 1986 to Present
- F&M Bank of Northern Virginia (Currently BB&T), Board of Directors, 1986 to Present
- Board of Loudoun County Chamber of Commerce, Chairman, 2003
- Commonwealth Transportation Board, Member, 2005
- Loudoun County Bar, Past President
- American Bar Association, Member
- Virginia State Bar, Member
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- Virginia Bar Association, Member